Wednesday, February 9, 2011

LUBNA'S LITANY



You are the lollypop and the marshmallow,   
the strawberry juice and the chocolate milkshake.   
You are the apple pie of New Year’s Eve.   
and the big cake of a nice wedding.   



However, you are not the scattered in the sky,   
the dirt in the winds,   
or the mud of the swamp.   
And you are certainly not the heavy rain.   
There is just no way you are the heavy rain.   

It is possible that you are the childish songs,   
maybe even the music of the life,   
but you are not even close   
to being the noise of the cement factory.   

And a quick look in the mirror will show   
that you are neither the frighten cat over the roof.
nor the cactus in a beautiful garden.   

It might interest you to know,   
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,   
that I am the sunshade of the downtown shops.   

I also happen to be the tree house,   
the comfortable chair in the setting room,   
and the steady sail of a small boat.   

I am also the parasol in a sunny day   
and the measuring cup in the kitchen.   
But don't worry, I am not the lollypop and the marshmallow. 
You are still the lollypop and the marshmallow.   


You will always be the lollypop and the marshmallow,
not to mention the strawberry juice and—somehow—the chocolate milkshake.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lubna

    I can see a happy child in your litany!
    it's amazing for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lubna, is the person you wrote
    your son?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes the person is my lovely son

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh GRACIOUS GREEN MOUNTAIN! Your words dance on the page! I am thrilled to see your lovely images of lollypops and marshmellows here! I appreciate the comments of your classmates since I don't think I would have guessed you were writing about your son!

    Your son is so lucky to have a mother who is "the steady sail of a small boat" and "tree house."

    Your words are beautiful and magical! I agree with Yu Chieh, you have a happy child!

    ReplyDelete